Friday, March 31, 2006

What is the difference?

What is the difference?

A couple months ago, a friend was reading Help Meet during her lunch break. Not wanting to get into the specifics, she simply mentioned that she was reading a book on how to be nicer to her husband. She thought this would be acceptable to most wives and not cause a stir. Little did she know how appalling this effort has become in today’s society.

The two women she was having lunch with jumped at the chance to complain about this commonsense aspect of marriage. Granted we do not know the women’s home situation, but the comments they made really caused my friend and I to laugh out of disbelief. “Why do you have to be the one to make an effort?” “Why doesn’t he do something for a change to be nicer to you?” “Why does he deserve you to be nice to him?” And on and on. They truly could not understand why anyone would want to be nicer to their husbands.

Why is it so different with husbands? I have seen women treat their husbands cruelly with behavior they would never dream of directing toward anyone else. They are more considerate and thoughtful when it comes to everyone else but their husbands.

A clear picture of this came in my life when Scott and I were married about 6 months. We were living in a small apartment rented to us by a member of our congregation. We were expecting houseguests from India for our New York Family Camp and I was really excited to be the hostess for our friends from afar. In getting the house extra clean and tidy, I thought, why am I spending so much effort getting the house together for friends when I had not previously done that for my husband. I wanted to impress our guests, but should I have not also put forth the effort to impress my husband?

This example has led me to consider my service to my husband as the same service I would give an honored guest. After braving the world every day to give us a house and food, he should be honored. (For those of you that would argue this point, remember “You serve Christ by serving your husband, whether your husband deserves it or not (50),”) Shouldn’t a home be a haven for a husband? And believe me, everyone wins when I put forth the effort to make the house have that extra touch.

So, when you go to the store, do you smile and say nice greetings to the store clerk? Do you always remember that your sister likes her ice tea without sugar? Do you find ways to be of service to others and help out when you are guest in their home? Think of every act of service and nice gesture toward your husband is fulfilling God’s command to “Treat others the same way you want them to treat you.”

Here is a passage I got off the Internet a few years back. It gives a nice perspective on service.

“You could say Matthew 25:35-36 this way:
My husband is hungry so I will give him good food to eat so that he is filled with warmth and love.
My husband is working hard in the yard so I will bring him a fresh glass of iced lemonade to refresh his body and spirit.
My husband is feeling alone so I will go to him and comfort him in ways that he will appreciate.
My husband needs clean clothes so I will sort them and wash them and fold them and hang them up so they are there when he needs them.
My husband is ill so I will comfort him and bring him food in bed and cleanse his face so he knows I care.
My husband is imprisoned by others actions and he feels discouraged and confused so I will go to him and pray with him and be there when he needs me.”

“When we serve our husbands we begin to grow softer spirits, more loving hearts. When we serve our husbands our marriage is renewed and nurtured. When we serve our husbands what we are really doing is serving Jesus. We will be blessed in ways we can hardly imagine!”

Proverbs 31:12,13 “The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good and not evil all the days of her life.”


In the self-help section of any bookstore you will find books written on every aspect of human life dissected and probed to reveal the instant fix for anyone’s ailing mind. The preacher at our congregation said once that he was going to write a book on how to loose weight. It will have two chapters. Chapter one: Eat Less. Chapter two: Exercise More.

There is something to be said about simplicity. Here is my book on how to be a ‘better’ person, a topic that has sold millions of books and has packed out arenas: Chapter One: Serve your husband. In serving our husbands we will be better wives, mothers, friends and have a more peaceful and happier life. The best advice is the Truth found within the pages of the Bible. Submit and Serve Christ as you serve your husband.

3 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Hi Brooke....I enjoyed reading your insights on how to reap the blessings from the role with which the Lord has gifted us by serving our husbands. Why indeed must my husband be left out as the recipient of my graciousness? I'm ashamed of the efforts I have made to entertain and impress and make gestures of loving hospitality or simply politeness to family, friends, acquaintances, and even strangers, but have given him leftovers and shabbiness and a malcontent attitude. I should never take the Lord's gifts for granted!

I've only gotten through the second chapter of CTBHHM but what strikes me as a resounding theme is that we wives are the ones who set the tone in our homes. Why is it that when a friend calls needing help with child care or meal preparation we are quick to run out the door, but we grumble at picking our husbands socks up from the bedroom floor? We want our children to have servants' hearts yet we grimace and groan when it comes to serving our men? What kind of example are we setting for them to emulate? We have a responsibility not only to our husbands but to our daughters and sons to give them a picture of what true contented marital life is like. While making a list of ways to serve my husband better, as Debi Pearl suggested, joy crept into my heart and I knew that the Holy Spirit was at work. :)

I have also been in the company of women with whom I have felt like an alien because of my Scriptural views on men's and women's roles. We are a selfish society and self-sacrifice is often a foreign concept even to Christians who sadly have been brain-washed with a feminist worldview.

A few years ago I was doing a Bible study with a small group of women on the Elizabeth George book A Woman After God's Own Heart. We were on the chapter devoted to our marital relationships and I had brought a tape to share. One woman stated vehemently - almost angrily - that if she heard another word about submission that she would throw up. At a loss for words, I wondered how much of that anger spilled over in her own home and affected her husband and children. Perhaps she had a distorted view of submission but didn't seem to want to learn the Lord's definition. Sad.

I'm eager to continue studying and gleaning from you and others. May the Lord be with you as you seek His wisdom.

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

Emily,
Thank you for your comments and encouragement. I have been a long while away from the computer and these studies, helping a friend get a business off and running. I have resigned and now have a semi-normal schedule, one which benifits myself and my husband greatly.
Your message was particularly encouraging now as we are dealing with multiple women in our assembly who have taken up the job of trying to control not only their own husbands, but others as well. Also a woman that I was studying with has voiced opinions to others about CTBHHM contrary to what she has shared with me and it is clear that she no longer (or never has) understands biblical guidence concerning her role as a wife.
Thanks again and I hope to have more time to study out future topics.
Brooke

 
At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brooke! I haven't checked in in ages. Things have slowed down here for a week or so, and I have been thinking about you so I thought I'd take a peek at what is going on here. I am so glad to see there are others involved! Nice to meet Emily, I appreciate her comments. I was thinking how easy it is for us to desire to be "focused" and "determined" and some of those types of things, and that even though it is our natural God-given path to be nurturing and soft we devalue that in our own minds. How Satan must love making the world a harsh environment because WE as women are afraid to be who we were created to be. We seem driven to "put our hackles up" as a way of self-preservation rather than trust God to provide if we do what he calls us to do. Where is our FAITH?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home